Hansen, V., Asmund, G. & Larsen, M.B. 2019. Audit of Kvanefjeld REEs, U and Zn project. Exploration activities 2007-2017. 29 August to 5 September 2017 by DCE and GINR Aarhus University, DCE – Danish Centre for Environment and Energy, 74 pp. Scientific Report No. 332. http://dce2.au.dk/pub/SR332.pdf
Since 2007, exploration activities have been performed at Kvanefjeld REEs, U and Zn project in Southern Greenland by GMEL. This is the first audit report for the Kvanefjeld project.
A team of Violeta Hansen from the Danish Center for Environment and En- ergy (DCE), Gert Asmund from (DCE) and Morten Birch Larsen from Green- land Institute of Natural Resources (GINR) audited the Kvanefjeld project from 29 August to 5 September 2017.
The team of GMEL at the site was formed by Ib Laursen, Johannes Kyed and Pavia Rohde.
A team from Environmental Agency from Mineral Resources Activities (EAMRA) was present at the site in the first three days of the audit. The EAMRA team was of Najaaraq Demant-Poort (EAMRA), Karen Schleiss (EAMRA) and Jonas Petersen (Ministry of Mineral Resources).
Audit activities by DCE and GINR:
- Inspect the hydrological measurement stations at the site and draw specific recommendations for hydrological baseline measurements (1).
- Verification of on-site instruments such as handheld gamma dose rate, E- sampler, radon passive detectors. The E-Sampler is a type of nephelometer which automatically measures and records real-time airborne particulate concentration levels using the principle of forward laser light scatter. The E-Sampler also has a built-in 47 mm filter sampler. The E-Sampler is a low-flow sampler, with 2.0 liter/minute flow (0.012 m3/hr). The E- Sampler has a humidity-controlled heated inlet tube. TSP, PM10 and PM2.5 size classes can be measured, depending on inlet. A PM10 sharp cut cy-clone inlet was used.
- Control of containers labelled radioactive and located in Narsaq. Gamma dose rate measurements at available surfaces of containers located at GMEL office in Narsaq and between Narsaq and Kvanefjeld. The results of gamma dose rate at available surfaces of containers are included in Appendix A.
- Control of GMEL work camps at Kvanefjeld and gamma dose rate measurement at the surface of some of the drill holes from exploration activities.
- Environmental control sampling of water, soil, sediments, lichens, mussels, fish and seaweed. Those samples were transported to Denmark for analysis of background levels of radioactive and non-radioactive contaminants. Detailed information on collected samples can be found in Appendix B.
- Analysis of fluor in all water samples except the fjord water. The analysis of fluor was performed by using an YSI Multilab equipped with an ion selective fluoride electrode. The results can be seen in the Appendix C.
- Measurement of physical-chemical parameters of all collected water samples by using an In Situ SmarTroll multimeter. The water physical chemical parameters are included in Appendix D.
- XRF analysis of control solid samples such as sample ore core, ore from previous Risø exploration activities and soils and sediments at the project site.
- Measurement of background gamma levels/(gamma dose rate µSv/h) in Narsaq town, between Narsaq and Kvanefjeld and Kvanefjeld was performed by using Survey Meter Colibri VLD (Very Low Dose). The gamma dose rate results are included in Appendix E.
- Taking pictures to document current status of the site.
- Participation in the public open house organized by EAMRA on 30 of August 2017.
- Answer to questions received by e-mail following the open house in Narsaq. The answers are included in Appendix F.
- DCE and GINR were made aware of a dam that was built in Narsaq River in 2010 by the owner of the farm in Narsaq Valley.